Marnin Studio hosts Designer and Artist in Residency Programs providing opportunities for local artists of Marnin Studio to collaborate with a variety of artists from around Australia.
The Designer and Artist in Residence Program has engaged a range of artists including:
- Megan Kirwan Ward - block printing and textile design development
- Jessica Jubb- jewellery design and product development
- Jen Layton - product design
- Kirsten Smith - natural dyes and silk scarves
- Kari Layton - marketing and product development
- Ken Wood - screen printing
These practitioners are keen supporters of the program and have returned regularly to the region. The local and visiting artists have worked collaboratively to build creative skills and knowledge of country and culture to develop a range of high end products including natural dye silk scarves, block and screen printed fabric products and painted boab nuts.
These products have been successfully tested at markets and sold through commercial and corporate outlets.
Design Within Country is a fashion design collaboration project with Marnin Studio and the Earthed Foundation.
It connects young people of Fitzroy Crossing with city-based creatives and mentors on country to create a fashion collection.
The project includes:
- Designing and producing a fashion collection for the Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair runway
- Photography shoots, modelling and styling
- Documentary and music making
The project focuses on sharing passion and knowledge based on a common interest within differing cultural landscapes. It is a productive and inspiring space that focuses on developing concepts to create viable products for commercial markets as well as supporting the creation of social business projects within the communities.
Photo Credit: David Hannah.